History of Christ the King Church

 

The Story Behind the Building of Christ the King

Attempts were made as early as 1947 to establish a Lutheran Church of the Missouri Synod in Cody including:

  • 1947 - Rev. Spitz of Thermopolis conducting services in the Episcopal church
  • 1949 - Rev. Crassmer of Powell briefly serving the congregation in the basement of the library
  • 1949 - 1958 - No services
  • 1958 - Rev. Harry Scholz began services in various members homes
  • 1959 - Rev. Barth, Executive Secretary of the Northern Nebraska District, visited the Cody Mission in late 1959 to consider possible building sites and offer advice
  • 1960 - District Convention of the Lutheran Women's Missionary League made Cody their two year project
  • August 29, 1960 - Rev. E. Priess installed as Missionary at Large in Cody

During the summer of 1960, the Rev. E. Priess accepted the call and on August 29, 1960 was installed by the Northern Nebraska District as Missionary at large in Cody, Wyoming. The congregation was officially organized on March 26, 1961. This newly formed group chose Christ the King Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod as its name.

On July 2, 1961, the District LWML presented a check to the mission as first payment of the two year project to be used for a new church building. The first service in the new building was held on February 18, 1962. On April 8th, the cornerstone was laid.
 

 

 

Pages